18.2.16

the realities of being a casual worker in retail

image image

tl;dr: Sometimes you have 40+ hour work weeks, other days you end up smothered in popcorn and books.

Once upon a time I had a job that required me to work the typical 40 hours-5 days a week deal. As a highly left-brained person, the structure and order that schedule provided simply delighted me. It was easy as I knew when and which days I was free, how early I needed to be up (4 AM), and when I needed to be asleep (8-9 PM). I fell absolutely in love with that job and never wanted to leave. Of course, all good things must come to an end (for one reason or another). These days, I'm employed casually-- which used to be an issue for a weird-workaholic like me. I like to be busy-- to feel as though I have a purpose and to feel tired at the end of my day and yet, I'm loving casual employment. Instead of alarm clocks and half-remembered morning showers, I can wake up at 5 AM and not make any efforts to get out of bed until two hours later. I can have hot sauce covered popcorn for lunch and read for hours then follow it up with countless more hours of writing. For the first time in a while, I'm feeling efficient creatively. That's not to say I'm particularly good at any of this right brain madness-- writing, painting, cooking, but to create things with my own two hands is so fulfilling. So while I may frequently find myself at a loss without constant work, the reality is now I have the time to figure it out.